Monday, February 02, 2015

She got her groove back

We've been in Colorado about a year and a half.  We're settling into our home where I hope we will live for many years.  We aren't the new people anymore.  Well, in some ways we are, but we are becoming less so every day.

I think we are feeling adjusted.  There are still things that feel different, and some stuff we're not used to, and every once in a while, we get caught assuming we know what's going on when we don't.  We still miss our TX people, but I think we've gained some CO people.  Gaining people is always good.

In early 2013 we started preparing for this move, and 2 years later, I am really feeling that the transition is ending.

For me personally, 2015 is going to be a year of rhythm.  I crave routine, I thrive on it, for about 2 weeks.  Then something happens to upset my routine, and it takes me a month to get back on track.  I start doubting and second guessing myself.  I let things go and then feel overwhelmed and don't know where to start.  Routine is harsh and unforgiving.  Sometimes routine is forced, sometimes it feels like fitting a square peg into a round hole.

I've learned that what I need is rhythm.  I need to settle in naturally.  This CO life requires that I do some things differently than I always have.  And that's fine.  Different isn't bad it's just...different.

Rhythm is flexible.  When one of the kids is sick and home from school for a week, routine blows up and pitches a fit because this was not part of the schedule.  Rhythm accepts it, does what it can, and extends grace when it can't.  Routine makes you feel guilty for all the things you didn't do.
Rhythm says what you did today was enough. 

I know there will be things that I'll still have to just buckle down and get 'er done, there is a place for routine in my life.  But in 2015, I'm trying to work with the rhythm of life, instead of feeling so forced by routine.

Mondays.  I've noticed that I enjoy Monday mornings.  It's when I pull it all back together from the weekend.  We tend to be a little lax on the weekends.  Lazy, if you will.  Or, we spend the weekends doing projects and there is no time for the little things like picking up socks out of the living room.  Monday morning is when I clean the kitchen, pick up the living room, change the sheets, wash the towels, go over the calendar, sort the mail...

After the weekend, I need some quiet to reset and prepare for the week ahead.  Monday mornings tell me what the rest of the week will most likely look like.  It's a rhythm.  

1 comment:

Su said...

I think I need to borrow you on Mondays! :)