Monday, December 12, 2005

Sick


It's been a long week. I know it's only Monday, but. . .it's been a long week. This is our medicine bowl. Do not be misled by the cute holiday theme, it is just my attempt at some order and cheer as we go about our day. Saturday afternoon I walked into our out-of-control kitchen ready to whip it back in to shape. A couple of loads of dishes later it was starting to resemble that "heart of the home" feel. Something was still bothering me. Four out of 5 people living in this house are on medication of some sort. Honey had a touch of the flu, for lack of a better diagnosis, this weekend. Bubba has been running a temp since last Thrus, but we don't know why. And the girls, well we keep them drugged just so we can stay one step ahead of them! Anyways, I realized that we had medicine and droppers and those little dosage cups all over the place. It was driving me crazy! So I created the medicine bowl. On his way to getting some medicine-induced sleep, Honey made the comment "You know it's bad when you have a medicine bowl."

As much as physical sickness is plaguing our house today, a spiritual weakness has settled in. Youth ministry is so rewarding in so many ways, but some days, it sucks the life out of you. Today was one of those days. As Honey settled in the recliner to do some graduate reading, I settled in to find some wisdom. What I found was this,

"I appeal to you brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another so that there may be no divisions among you and that you may be perfectly united in mind and thought."
I Cor. 1:10

Today, I am learning about unity. I am learning how hurtful and destructive divisions can be. The youth minister in Corinth must have been having a week like we are, because right before Paul makes this plea to the Church there he writes these encouraging words,

"Therefore you do not lack any spiritual gift as you eagerly wait for our Lord Jesus Christ to be revealed. He will keep you strong to the end, so that you will be blameless on the day of our Lord Jesus Christ. God, who has called you into fellowship with his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, is faithful." ICor. 1:7-9

The best part about Monday is that there is still time for the week to get better!

No comments: