Friday, August 29, 2008

School

This week at our house we've been focused on school. Specifically, the start of it. And let me just say right now that this week has kicked my tail. I'm exhausted! I've never been so ready for a weekend in my life. It probably has something to do with the fact that I spent all of last weekend with my girls in San Antonio. I'll fight the exhaustion any week for weekends like that!

The upcoming Labor Day weekend is going to be bittersweet for our family. It's the traditional weekend when we go Squirrel Hunting with the Lastname family. But, this year, our little family of 5 isn't going. We are opting to stay at home and rest. And save some gas money. And skip the stress that comes from being gone all weekend right before the girls and I start school for real.

Oh,we've been playing school for 2 weeks now. That's what workdays are, playing school. You get to set up your room, sort and resort all the new school supplies you just bought, and laminate. Lots and lots of stuff has been laminated over the past two weeks. But Tuesday, I'll have a room full of Pre-K students and hopefully none of them will cry when their mommas leave. And hopefully we'll all have the time of our lives learning about God's wonderful world together.

Since I teach Pre-K, we talk a lot about growing, and learning, and changing. We talk about how they start the year only able to recognize the letters in their name, but by the end of the year, they can write every letter and so much more. They leave my class ready for Kindergarten. Not because of anything I've done, but because God moves in their little lives so powerfully.

I love that my class is named Ms. Jenni's Butterflies. It really is a miracle to watch these precious babies grow from caterpillars to butterflies over the course of the school year.


This is what is hanging on one of my walls.
Bubba started school Monday morning . . . bright and early. Here's a pic of him with his homeroom teacher Mrs. D. She's young, exciting, and Bubba really enjoys her class. I'm so thankful for all the teachers he's had. Each one has been perfect for him at that time in his life. I have no doubt that Mrs. D will be the perfect teacher for him as he meanders through 3rd grade.




Here's Bubba while experiencing one of his favorite family traditions, ice cream on the first day of school. Honey stayed in town and we all went and had a sweet treat to celebrate a successful start of the year. I love hearing all about his first day. He usually finds way more to talk about if we're eating some chocolate. I guess it's true that a way to a man's heart is through his stomach!



Last night was meet the teacher night at The Preschool. The girls are going to be in my class this year. After praying about it, my mother's heart wants to soak up every last minute of the girls while they are here at home. I've never thought I could be a homeschooler, but I guess this will give me a small taste of it. We'll just have about 10 extra kids thrown in there for the fun of it.
I can't believe I'll be sending my babies to school next year. This emotion is such a huge surprise to me because I was always the first one to say I'd be throwing a party the minute I dropped all of my kids off at school. But now with T minus 12 months to go, I'm not so sure I'll be as ready as I'd thought.

One last one, just for kicks. Bubba is the reason I wear high heels as often as possible. Here we are, both flat-footed. He loves that he's getting so tall. Me? Not so much.
**An extra 10 pts given to the person that can guess the Old Testament story that is depicted in the mural behind us.**

8 comments:

Misty said...

cute shots!
I love laminating... LOVE it. (I'm sick like that...)

and whose favorite family tradition isn't ice cream?

Larissa said...

I love laminating too...that's funny.

I'm kind of sad that I won't get to hear about adventures in squirrel hunting. I'm sure y'all need the rest though.

Anonymous said...

Found your blog through others.....was intrigued by your weight loss as I am trying to drop 15 pounds myself. SLOW process.

I'm going to take a stab in the dark becuase the mural doesn't have much detail that is visible in the photo. Is it Dorothy in the tornado in Kansas?.....oh, wait, you said it was from the Old Testament....what about Enoch when God "took him up"? :)

Cindy-Still His Girl said...

You have such a beautiful family! I love the pics. You're looking SKINNY. :)

Sunny said...

WOW! You look GREAT! And cute outfit.

Love the butterfly theme...so cute. And fitting.

I know you're completely bummed to miss the squirrel hunt. You're in mourning, I'm sure.

(We do ice cream after the 1st day too!)

The girls are as adorable as ever, and Bubba is getting so big!

javamamma said...

I guess Elijah in the whirlwind.

Have fun with 'homeschooling' plus 10 this year! I'm sure your year will go fast so enjoy every minute!

Gayle @ thewestiecrew said...

Elijah being swept up into heaven? And I didn't look at anyone elses!

LOVE the pictures of you and the kids and I agree with Cindy, you are looking SKINNY!

Mandy said...

Awww...what a great looking family you have! No clue on the mural. The wall decorations are super cute, though!