Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Breakfast of Champions

It's starting to get a little warmer here in West Texas. Even though it's like 50 degrees as I'm typing, it's supposed to reach 85 degrees by this afternoon. It's still really cool at night and in the mornings, but the afternoons are nice, if the wind's not blowing. I think that's called Spring, y'all.

Since it's been warmer, I've been craving milk shakes. Particularly one from here. Because they are really, really good.

But, alas, milk shakes are not practical for my little weight loss venture. So I started searching the Weight Watchers sight for smoothie recipes. I found one named Chocolate Covered Strawberries. It sounded wonderful, but when I went shopping for the ingredients, I could only find two of them: ice and strawberries. Oh, and milk. So I improvised. And here is what I came up with.

Jenni's Chocolate Covered Strawberry Smoothie
1 serving; 2.5 pts per serving

Gather these ingredients:
1 blender
6 oz. ice
1/3 c. skim milk
6 oz. WW Boston Creme Pie yogurt
6 med strawberries, hulled
2 tbsp Ovaltine
(If you want, you can substitute vanilla yogurt. It still tastes great, but if it's not WW brand, you'll have to refigure the points.)
Dump it all in the blender. I like putting in the ice first so it gets good and . . . blended. I also use the liquefy setting (the highest setting I have) because I don't like ice chunks. It ruins the effect I'm trying to achieve which is "milk shake" and the chunks get my straw all stopped up.

Pour it in a large glass. I chilled mine in the freezer for about 10 minutes because that's how they do it at the old fashioned ice cream parlors. The recipe makes about 14 oz. which was the perfect size for my breakfast this morning.

2 comments:

Laci said...

mmmm! that looks yummy! thanks for sharing. I like to use the nestle carnation instant breakfast sugar free powder in my breakfast smoothies. It has lots of fiber and protein! And you can find lots of recipe ideas printed on the packets, or if you prefer to purchase the canned powder, you can find recipes on their website.

Here's two more smoothies I love to make all the time.. with out the powder.

Banana Peach
1 medium banana
1/2 cup canned peaches, no sugar added(del monte)
1/4 cup vanilla low fat yogurt
1/4 cup skim milk
1/2 cup ice

Mixed Berry
1/2 cup low fat vanilla yogurt
2/3 cup unsweetened frozen berry medley, thawed
1/2 cup ice cubes

Mandy said...

OMG, that looks delish!! I have GOT to try that soon.