Friday, July 31, 2009

It's almost August. I didn't even have to look at the calendar and I knew it. My internal alarm clock is going off.

For as long as I can remember my life has revolved around the school schedule. June and July are for lazy summer days by the pool, fun trips and vacations, and finally getting to that "to-do" list that never seems to end. But as August approaches, the fun starts to wind down. It's time to wake up, get ready for the start of school, get on some sort of schedule again.

August is such a party pooper.

That's how half of me feels.

The other half of me is tired, out of ideas, really ready for a vacation from my position as head cruise director. My list of options is exhausted. I don't know how many more fun adventures I can imagine, facilitate, and clean up after.

August is such a life saver!

The countdown has begun.
...24 days til the first day of school.
...1 more major grocery shopping day with all three kids
...1 more hair appointment while all three kids sit in the waiting area and fight over who got more donut holes
...2 more weeks of staying up way too late and sleeping in a little later than usual
...24 days til I drop all three kids off and say, "You entertain them for a while."

Today I'm the tired, worn out, can't wait for September one. Summer has been wonderful...totally fun...but...maybe over-stayed it's welcome...just a bit.

I'm not worried. I know tomorrow, or the next day, or some day soon, I'll feel sad that summer is ending. I'll feel the time slipping through my hands. It'll hit me that this is the last summer that our family will be like this. I'll wish for just a couple of more weeks of those lazy, fun, fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants summer days. I'll look for the snooze button, a way to quiet the alarm.

But that day is not today.

2 comments:

Mandy said...

My sentiments exactly! Love this post! I can't believe school starts for us next week!

Shelly@Sweet Journey said...

I hear you Sister! But I don't have time to think about it much--I guess that is good. Better go pack!