Monday, July 15, 2013

Adjusting

When Honey and I started looking for places to live in our new town, my one requirement was that there be trees.  Lots of trees.

For such a small town, there are several different scenery options when looking for a house.  I decided that if we were going to pack up and leave West Texas, we were going to move to a place that looked exactly the opposite of West Texas.  Which meant mountains and lots of pine trees.

The house we're renting has huge picture windows in the living room and the couch sits right across the front of them.  Most of the time I just sit on the couch, stare out the windows, and look at the scenery.

You know how dogs just sit on the back of the couch and stare out the window for hours?  That's me.  I've turned in to that dog.

It's just so pretty and peaceful.  And you never know when a deer or squirrel or chipmunk might show up on your back porch.  Seriously.  Deer.  On the back porch.

And today?  It's raining...a nice, steady, soaking rain.  My West Texas friends know how long it's been since we've seen that.  And it smells sooo good!  I've been pretty worthless today.  I can't even concentrate on the novel I'm trying to read.

I am in full on Rosa's withdrawals.  I think the girls are, too.  Friday night I planned tacos for the girls and their babysitter while Honey and I went out for our anniversary.  They have had tacos and nachos and taco stack for 4 days in a row now.  It's all they want.  But it's just a cheap substitute.  The only motherly advice I can offer is: I feel you, Sweetie.

The only good thing about Rosa's being 9 hours away is that my 20th high school reunion is in 12 days and the break from the bean and cheese nachos can only be good for my hips.

All the sitting around and staring out the windows?  Not so much.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh I feel you, on the OPPOSITE end of that spectrum! We moved from Northwest Arkansas where it's truly beautiful, and here......I'm amazed at the flatness. Truly. BUT, it is Tuesday, so I promise to think of you as we head to Rosa's tonight.....You've got the deer and mountains, I've got the tacos!