Thursday, September 29, 2005

What brand is your hairdryer?

My life is probably not much different from yours. I have a fabulous husband (let's call him "Honey") and three kids (5 year old son "Bubba", 2 year old twin daughters "Brooke" and "Mary Tu Tu"). When filling out official forms and stuff, I check the stay-at-home-mom box, but we all know that most of the time this isn't accurate. I have two part-time jobs that I actually get paid for, and another that allows me to connect with one of my passions on pretty much a daily basis.

Based on this information alone, you can safely assume that my life is the same crazy 3 ring circus that every person with a spouse, kids, and a job experiences. And just like you, I struggle to find quiet. Solitude. Aloneness. Time to reflect. Who am I kidding? I don't need to reflect, I just need to be able to finish a sentence every once in a while!

I recently realized that I long for this quiet time to recoup and get ready for the day. I need guidance from God as I juggle my life and I never can find the perfect time to just sit and listen. Then one day it dawned on me that, yes, indeed, I already have this time! And as fanatic as it sounds, it happens when I am drying my hair. . .

I like to say that God speaks to me through my hair dryer. It makes perfect sense you know. You have just showered, so you are relaxed. You are alone. (at least I am) You have had time to wake up and mentally go over your to-do list for the day. (I take pretty long showers) By the time you are ready to dry your hair, your brain has moved on to the things that need more thought than just being added to "the list". You know, the things that are bothering you, the people you know you should help, the difficult situation you can't figure out. And, somehow, every once in a while, as the hot air is blowing in my ears, I hear God giving me the guidance that I need.

You should try it. I'm pretty sure God doesn't care what brand your hair dryer is.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, it sounds like you are finding your way through life, and I hope that you will lean those that love you.

Anonymous said...

this is amazing. i'm so glad I get to read about your life!

Ashley said...

Thanks for the encouragement on my goals! So you're going to Siesta Fiesta? Me, too! And I too talk to God a lot while I'm blow drying my hair. And I've heard his voice in the hairdryer! :) Nice to "meet" you.