Monday, February 20, 2006

Tomato, Tomahto, Potato, Potahto

It's been called many things by many people.

Soul-winning. Evangilism. Visitation. Door-knocking. Witnessing. Outreach. Most recently. . .missional living. All words describing basically the same thing. Telling others about Jesus. Sharing your faith. Telling your story.

Jesus called it "making disciples".

"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you."

Matthew 28:19-20

I like the way Jesus said it. "Making disciples" suggests something a little more involved than inviting your child's friend to VBS. Isn't there something more intentional about "making disciples"? It seems like a longer process. One that requires a relationship. A process that grows as the relationship grows. A relationship that continues beyond the baptistry. One that encourages you, the teacher, to higher levels of obedience along with your student. How else would you "teach them to obey everything I have commanded you"? I've certainly never obeyed everything.

Ok, yeah, that sounds great! Let's get started! Let's go make disciples! Ok. . .so. . .um. . .relationship. Ok, here's the thing. My relationship tank is filled to capacity. I have a husband, kids, family, friends, neighbors. . . I mean I am up to here with relationships. Who has time for another relationship? I can't even balance all the ones I have right now.

I mean, I'm right there with ya on the whole making disciples thing. I agree that it is a command. For everyone. (Not just the missionaries in Africa) I agree that we can be nice, graceful people that others are drawn to by our supernatural peace. Maybe some day when I am taking a meal to someone they will ask, "Why do you care about me?" And I can tell them that God loves me and I want to serve him. I get that. But there has to be more. I mean, "Go into all the world and make disciples" doesn't mean "go and take food to all who are sick and wait for them to ask you why you care." Does it?

How do I go and make disciples? Again, I'm back at the relationship thing. Do I have what it takes to forge another meaningful relationship? I'm not sure I do.

Father, I want so much to follow your commands, all of them. I know that includes making disciples for your kingdom. I'm just not sure how to do it. I feel like what you are asking is so impossible. It all comes down to time for me. So much of my time is spent dealing with the urgent and not the important. Father, give me wisdom to work in the important. Let me spend my time doing what you think is important. Father, I dedicate my time to you. Use it for your glory. Father, help me to trust your guidance and follow your lead.

No comments: