Friday, July 08, 2011

Sewing pictures

I know, I know...yesterday's post was a cop out. But, to be honest, I was tired.

We met Mom for lunch at noon. (Happy anniversary, Mom and Dad!) Then we went to the fabric store. We finally started our projects about 2:00. We got home at 8:00.

What, you might ask, did you do at the fabric store for an hour?

Well, the answer to that question is negotiate. With two seven year old girls...who have very strong opinions about what is cute and what is not cute. And lots of excited energy. And did I mention that there are two of them?

Mary TuTu is in to polka dots, and Brooke likes animal prints. And also satin fabric that you would use to make prom dresses. And anything that glitters or sparkles.

My original project was to decorate a couple of canvas tote bags that I picked up at Hobby Lobby for the girls to carry their Bibles and a note pad and pen to church.

I bought a 4 pack of bags and thought, "Oh, wouldn't it be fun to let the girls pick which color they want?"

If you give 'em an inch, they take a mile. Once they realized that there were choices! and colors to choose from! and styles of trim to choose! they were not about to stop at letting their feelings be known about the mere color of the bag.

And so we negotiated for an hour. But the finished product turned out really cute and I think the extra effort/headache was worth it.



The purple one is the front of Brooke's. I had to strategically place the blue straps on top of part of it because their initials can be seen. The blue one is the back of Mary TuTu's. You can't really tell, but Brooke went with a purple, pink, and zebra strip theme, while Mary TuTu went with a blue, black, and lime green theme. I don't think I would have ever put the blue and green together, but it really works.

Mom showed us how to make the flowers with the button in the middle. They were really easy and super cute.

If we had stopped there, we would have been done in 2 hours, but I read Ashley's blog the day before we went to sew and saw these cute tank top dresses. We made ours a little longer than Ashley's because I wanted them to maybe be able to wear then next summer. My supermodels were not in the mood to be photographed today, so you'll just have to imagine how cute they will look in them.

And they WILL wear them. Because we did not just spend an hour picking out fabric for them to say, I don't really want to wear them.

We have two more tank tops and fabric to make a couple of more dresses. They follow a blue motif. And they WILL wear these, too...just as soon as we get them made.

5 comments:

Ashley said...

So cute!!
I just about died last night when I saw that you had a sewing day. I felt guilty that I hadn't put up a tutorial yet.
Then I thought, "It's Jenni. She knows what she's doing. She'll figure it out by looking at the picture. That's what I did."
It's so easy, right??
I also had the thought that you could totally make the bandana dress with fabric in the size you need. You would just have to hem the bottom since it wouldn't be done for you. :)

Amy said...

I Love, lOve, loVe, lovE the bags and dresses!!!! I hadn't seen the tank top re-makes . . . . very cute. I wonder if my Ellie will let me try one ;)

And, you got out of the fabric store in ONE hour? You must have some skilz, lady, because I can never make it out under 2 when I have my girls with me!!

Yesterday was not a cop out. You took the time to hop on and post. You did it!!!!

Su said...

You have to take children with you to spend an hour looking at fabric? Oops. ;)

Love the bags, love the dresses. All brilliant.

Shelly@Sweet Journey said...

Very cute! I would love to spend a day like that with my SweetDoll--she would be all over that! I would need the tutorial though. I might be hitting you up for directions, but not until baseball is over!

valerie in TX said...

LOVE the tank-top dresses! We copied the bandana dress from you a couple of years ago and loved that, too. I am NOT a seamstress, so Ashley's instructions were a little confusing to me, but I'm gonna give it a whirl anyway. I've been seeing so many cute fabrics and didn't know what I could do with them (repeat: not a seamstress), so now I'm excited to try these! If I can figure them out, I may have to make one for myself, too. :)