Monday, November 28, 2011

Be patient, I'm having a hard time adjusting to the time change.

November = cra-zay

The good kind of CrAzY, but still...cRaZy.

I spent the first weekend on the West coast in La Jolla, CA with my prayer groupies.

We've been praying together for 16 years, and we've gone on a trip together every year since our college graduation.

Personally, I knew this was going to be a great trip from the very beginning. One morning in late June, I overheard a couple of moms talking at swimming lessons about the 1 day special that Southwest was running. The rates sounded too good to be true, but I thought of prayer group and decided it was worth a try.

One quick check of the Southwest website on my handy-dandy phone verified the cheap rates, so I sent out a group text...What do you think about Prayer Group in San Diego? When can we go? We have to decide by midnight.

None of us were at home in front of a computer. One of us was not even in dependable cell phone range. In spite of our limited resources, what usually takes us 2 months to decide was done in 6 hours. We had a weekend booked and plane tickets purchased. It was pretty much a prayer group miracle.

A lot has changed in 15 years.

The first trip we took together we loaded up in Jo's Jeep because it would fit all 6 of us and we drove a couple of hours down the road to a borrowed lake house. Our only directions to the lake house were an atlas and a hand drawn map on a piece of paper. About half way in to our drive, we had to stop and pick up our 6th member because she was staying at home. We had to call ahead the night before and plan where to stop and what time to stop there. And then we had to stick to that plan...because there were no cell phones to use for last minute changes or detours.

I know. I don't know how we managed either.

This year, we hopped on a plane in each of our respective airports and met up in San Diego. We paid for a condo that we found on the internet. None of us had ever seen the condo in person, we were going off of the website descriptions and pictures. I never even talked to the property manager, we communicated by email.

I saved the email with the address to the condo on my iPhone along with our plane itineraries, and I reserved a shuttle to take us from the airport to the condo one afternoon while I was sitting in the car pool lane waiting to pick up Bubba from school. Our phones also came in handy when we wanted to take pictures or get directions to area restaurants.

But some things never change.

Just like that first trip and every other trip since then, we had zero plans for the weekend once we got to San Diego. All we knew for sure is that we would go anywhere that would let us talk, and visit, and catch up, and talk some more.

In fact at one point on the way there, three of us were on the same flight. At the end of the flight, we stood up to get our carry on bags and the lady in front of us said, "Whew...y'all are talkers, aren't you?"

I'm not gonna lie. I came home with a slight case of laryngitis.

The ocean was peaceful and gorgeous. The seals and sea lions were stinky and entertaining. The food was delicious. The company was precious, the memories are sweet.

And at some point we all stopped talking and stood still long enough for some guy to take our picture.

Love you girls!

3 comments:

Misty said...

LOVE it! What a cool group of gals you ladies are. I'd be lying if i said I wasn't a little envious.

valerie in TX said...

So awesome! What an enormous blessing to have a group of friends who've done life with you for so long. I'm with Misty....a little jealous. :)

kimberly t. bowling said...

Oh. What. Fun. The lady's comment on the plane tickled me...sounds like a great trip was had by all, from beginning to end! Wonderful to have praying friends, no doubt, and even more wonderful you all gather and celebrate those friendships!