Thursday, April 26, 2012

Love the one you're with

Wow! OK. This new blogger is going to take some getting used to. I logged on today for the first time in several days (ahem) and...Hello! new Blogger.

Yesterday was Brooke's quarterly Endocrinologist appointment. It was good! Probably the best one we've had. 

So many people talk about having a big happy family reunion every time they visit their Endo's office. I've never really felt that way about ours. Maybe because our CDE was out sick when we were trained in the hospital. Maybe because we were handed off to another doctor 3 months in to this journey when our original doctor moved. 

Whatever it is/was, it was better this time. There was a connection with the CDE that hadn't been there before. There was useful advice from the doctor that had never been given before. They gave us stuff...without us having to ask and feel like a mouch.  Sorry, gifts, every once in a while, help.  I'm human.

After searching high and low and asking everyone under the sun and getting no response, we got a copy of the Disney book with Coco the Diabetic monkey.  (Yes, Virginia, there really is a Coco book.) 

We also got a copy of a book of yummy looking recipes.  Each recipe already has the nutritional information calculated and printed...including carbs!  Score!

 
Brooke already bookmarked page 66, "Belle's Better Brownies", and said that if I had extra time today, she would like me to try that recipe.  They only have 11g of carbs.  I've never heard of such a thing!  But, Disney says they're tasty, so it must be true!

And to make the visit even better...her A1C was down another .4 pts.  It feels good to be slowly creeping down instead of slowly creeping up.  To me it means that Brooke's little eyes will be around to sparkle for a loooong time.

I had told several friends that I was giving this Endo's office one more visit and if it wasn't better, we were going to spend some time this summer exploring our options.  I think I'll put that on hold for a bit and concentrate on making some of those brownies.

1 comment:

Amy@Diapeepees said...

Wow, didn't know there was a cookbook, too...fun!