Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Just a little warning

This past weekend we went on a youth retreat with our new church. It was a great retreat and we had fun, but I have conflicted feelings about it. I'm not sure how I feel about being involved in a youth program, at least one that our own children aren't old enough to participate in. I guess I haven't written about it because I don't know how I feel yet. When I'm done processing I'll be sure to let you know.

Yesterday was our Thanksgiving Feast at the pre-school. For me, it was really soon after the Halloween extravaganza, but that is just how the calendar falls. We only had 3 school days between the Halloween carnival and the Feast to change our focus from ghosts and gobblins to pilgrims and Indians, explain what Thanksgiving actually is and how the first one happened, and do all the little cute crafts that the parents get to take home after the feast. Throw in a field trip to get ice cream (because we have to do that when we learn about the letter I) and it makes it a CRAZY couple of weeks!

All of that to say that both of those events were my hurdles to cross before I would allow myself to think about Christmas. Now that they are crossed off of our calendar, I am allowed to dive completely in to the holiday season. The first thing on my list is decorating the house. I will absolutely be finished decorating by the time we load the car to spend Thanksgiving day with the Greats, the Grands, and the Uncle Bubbas. It will be a glorious week of cleaning, dusting, packing fall away, and going through all of my favorite Christmas decorations!

I love this time of year! I love to savor every drop of apple cider and every twinkling light. I love to spend all the cozy nights sipping hot chocolate and playing games with my kids. I love the extra time we get to spend with family and friends.

BUT, I can't do any of that until my house is ready to go. So, I'll be a little scarce around here for the next few days. I'm sure you'll understand my need to decorate in a timely manner. I'm ready for the fun to start!

3 comments:

javamamma said...

I hope you'll post pics of your lovely home when you're done cleaning and decorating!

Cindy-Still His Girl said...

I'll be interested in hearing your thoughts on the youth group thing.

I know that I was GREATLY blessed by the adults who invested in me when I was a teen. And the ones without kids in the youth group were especially effective! :) I'm sure you are a blessing!

Can't wait to see photos of Christmas at your house! :)

The Binkley Family said...

Girl, I was beginning to wonder about your bloggy silence. I can't wait to see pics of your house when it is decorated. You have a great sense of style. Will you also have some beautiful new plates that you painted to share with us?