Monday, March 30, 2009

A post by Granny

It's taken me a little while to admit it, but I'm getting old. I spend my evenings wrapped in a blanket when it gets down to 71 degrees in the house. And I usually have to eat a snack about 4:30 to tide me over until dinner time which is about 6:30. I would prefer to eat about 5:00.

Then the girls confirmed it for me just the other day. When they were playing baby dolls, they brought them to me and said, "Here Granny, you can babysit them for us."

I said, "Who's Granny?"

And they said, "You, that's what our babies call you."

Oh.

I'm not fond of "Granny", although I know many very sweet and kind women who allow their grandchildren to call them that. But if I have to be "Granny", I, at least, want to spell it with an "i", Granni. Now that I see it in print, maybe I should go with "ie". Grannie.

Anyway, I've come to embrace my oldness. We've had Guitar Hero for a couple of months now. Honey has wanted it for years, but I'm just now giving it a try. And, he was right, it's fun! But I still have to get Bubba to help me set it up. And I will only play the songs that I know. Because that's how I am.

This new found love for Guitar Hero has introduced me to a whole world of music that I never appreciated when I was younger. Bon Jovi, Nirvana, Metallica, and Blondie weren't really my pace back in the day. I was more of a Debbie Gibson, Tiffany, with a little bit of Wilson Phillips type.

But I'm starting to like Rock and Roll. I can even understand some of the words. Those songs are my favorites, the ones I can understand. And...I haven't heard one song say anything about "worship the devil" or "sacrifice your the neighbor's cat" or anything.

And I'm so relieved, because I was watching Fox News & Friends this morning while I drank my coffee. And they said that iTunes is going up on the prices for their songs. Now you will pay $1.29 per song instead of $0.99. Most people would be outraged by this, but it didn't bother me. Mainly because I don't have an iPod and rarely purchase songs on iTunes.

My SON has an iPod, but I don't.

There is a silver lining to this iTunes cloud. The older songs will go down to $0.69. What a relief! Because if I ever did have an iPod, I would use it when I did my walking for exercise. And I would want some of those upbeat Rock and Roll songs to keep me going. And I'm hoping the songs that I'd want would fall in that "older" category and only cost $0.69. Because The Mister and I are on a fixed income.

And I bet I would only have to get Bubba to show me how to work the iPod 2 or 3 times before I caught on.

But I wouldn't I be a stylin' Granni in my spandex and leg warmers jammin' out on my iPod?

4 comments:

javamamma said...

Way fun read! I'm a 'granny' too - to a multitude of 'babies', mostly Webkinz right now.

As for the older rock n roll songs - don't you know they only say those 'devil' things when you play them backwards. ;)

Laci said...

hahaa!!! I get why they call you Grannie, not cus you're old but cus the girls see the babies' as their kids and technically that make you the babies' grandmother.

Ashley said...

You make me laugh!

kimberly t. bowling said...

totally with you on the Debbie Gibson & Tiffany musicality....oh, at 15 I thought "Lost in Your Eyes" and "I think we're alone now" HAD to be the best songs ever written!!