Thursday, March 17, 2011

And...it's still Spring Break

We caved.

We planned a short road trip for this week.

I know...we said we weren't going anywhere. That idea was so last month.

Once the fog that was the month of February cleared, we decided that we wanted to go somewhere...just to get out of town, enjoy a change of scenery.

The conversation went something like this:

Me: I kinda' want to go somewhere for Spring Break.
Honey: Me, too.
Me: Where do you want to go?
Honey: I don't care.
(Wait 3 weeks and just think about it and refuse to make a decision.)

We threw around several places that were within a 1/2 day's drive from our town. We have friends here...we have a favorite resturant there...there's a cool museum there...

The last Friday of school before spring break was game day in 4th grade. They'd been testing or practice testing for the better part of 2 weeks and EVERYONE needed a break. So I spent a good part of an hour keeping one eye on the kids and one eye on the internet researching the places we kept talking about.

And that evening after dinner Honey and I threw caution to the wind and booked our motel room using rewards points from the comfort of the living room recliner. Because the internet? It's wireless now! And the telephones? They are wireless now, too.

In the end, we chose the place we'd never been. Right before bed that night we told the kids all the stuff there was to do in this new-to-us town. They gave us their input and we threw together a rough agenda for the few days we'll be gone.

Because I can get crazy and book a trip with less than a weeks notice, but that's about the limit to my spur-of-the-moment tendencies. I need a plan. I can't just wait to peruse the brochures in the motel lobby to decide what we're doing while we're there. No plan means we just sit around in the motel and watch the cable TV.

I want to know what sights there are to see, fun shopping opportunities along the way, and which resturants Adam from Man vs. Food recommends. I don't want to miss a thing.

It's a last minute trip, but it's going to be fun, and we'll be together.

(And now that I have a laptop!, maybe I'll share some links along the way. We'll see. Don't hold your breath.)

1 comment:

Misty said...

i am optimistic that you'll share... We are going... (wait for it) NO WHERE for spring break... but we have a second spring break in April, so maybe...